Advocating For Educators For Decades
At the law firm of Tuttle & McCloskey, PC, our attorneys have provided legal representation on a daily basis to members of the California Teachers Association (CTA) since 1972. These members include K-12 certificated public school employees (for example, teachers, counselors, librarians, nurses), community college faculty and counselors employed by community college districts in many counties, including Fresno, Kern, Tulare, Kings, Merced, Mariposa, Stanislaus and Contra Costa.
For more than 40 years, we have represented teachers and enforced important rights guaranteed to them by California’s complicated Education Code. With our experience and expertise, we have helped thousands of CTA members who needed capable, knowledgeable and dedicated advocates.
We’re Defined By A Strong Track Record Of Success
We have successfully represented teachers in a number of cases, many of which set precedents for the future. Examples of our work include:
- Defending against and negotiating separation agreements for teachers and faculty members facing discipline, suspension or dismissal
- Obtaining reasonable accommodations for K-12 teachers with disabilities
- Protecting the rights of K-12 public school teachers in the face of layoffs and staff reductions
- Defending teachers in cases filed by parents or students
- Challenging school districts who have denied teachers their entitlement to tenure
- Defending teachers’ credentials before the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- Defeating districts’ improper attempts to collect on alleged overpayment of wages
- Obtaining California State Teachers’ Retirement System disability retirement or disability allowances
- Enforcing teachers’ rights to more favorable placements on a school districts’ salary schedules
- Protecting teachers against improper demands to submit to highly invasive psychiatric evaluations
If you are a CTA member and have a work-related problem, you may be eligible for a referral to our law firm for a consultation or other assistance. Contact the CTA office that serves your local chapter for a referral.
Favorable Appellate Decisions on Educational Law Issues
We have a solid record of obtaining favorable decisions for our clients:
- CTA v. Mariposa County School District (1977) 70 Cal.App.3d 833
- CTA v. Yosemite Community College District (1985) 169 Cal.App.3d 35
- CTA v. Livingston School District, et al. (1990) 219 Cal.App.3d 1503
- CTA v. Parlier Unified School District, et al. (1984) 157 Cal.App.3d 174
- CTA v. Gustine Unified School District, et al. (1983) 145 Cal.App.3d 735
- CTA v. State of California, et al. (1999) 20 Cal.4th 327*
- CTA v. Golden Valley Unified School District (2002) 98 Cal.App.4th 369
- CTA v. Salinas City Elementary School District (2012) 146 Cal.Rptr.3d 835*
- Fresno Unified School District v. NEA, et al. (1981) 125 Cal.App.3d 259
*These cases were won in the California Supreme Court.
Call Us Today To Discuss Your Case
No matter what you are facing, chances are our attorneys at Tuttle & McCloskey have successfully helped a teacher in a similar situation and can help you, too. Call us at 559-500-3393 to speak with a lawyer, or fill out our online contact form and we will get back to you quickly.